The definition of inspiration is a person or thing that excites or stimulates, or inhaling.noun
- An example of inspiration is a documentary about Buddhism motivating someone to study about Buddhism.
- An example of inspiration is breathing in through your nose and out your mouth.
- a breathing in, as of air into the lungs; inhaling
- an inspiring or being inspired mentally or emotionally
- an inspiring influence; any stimulus to creative thought or action
- an inspired idea, action, etc.
- a prompting of something to be written or said
- Theol. a divine influence upon human beings, as that resulting in the writing of the Scriptures
Origin: Middle English inspiracioun from Old French inspiration from Late Latin inspiratio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity.b. The condition of being so stimulated.
- An agency, such as a person or work of art, that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention.
- Something, such as a sudden creative act or idea, that is inspired.
- The quality of inspiring or exalting: a painting full of inspiration.
- Divine guidance or influence exerted directly on the mind and soul of humankind.
- The act of drawing in, especially the inhalation of air into the lungs.
inspiration - Medical Definition
inspiration - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.