- An example of a genius is a person with a very high IQ.
- An example of a math genius is someone who excels in mathematics.
The definition of a genius is someone with an amazing mental or creative ability.
- [oftenG-] according to ancient Roman belief, a guardian spirit assigned to a person at birth; tutelary deity
- [oftenG-] the guardian spirit of any person, place, etc.
- either of two spirits, one good and one evil, supposed to influence one's destiny
- a person considered as having strong influence over another
- the personification of a quality
- particular character or essential spirit or nature of a nation, place, age, etc.
- a great natural ability (for a particular activity); strong disposition or inclination
- great mental capacity and inventive ability; esp., great and original creative ability in some art, science, etc.
- a person having such capacity or ability
- popularly any person with a very high IQ
Origin of geniusL, guardian spirit, natural ability, genius from base of genere, gignere, to produce: see genus
- a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power: artistic works of genius.b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent.c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
- a. A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.b. One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
- The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
- pl. ge·ni·i, Roman Mythology A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
Origin of geniusMiddle English guardian spirit from Latin; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
(plural geniuses or genii)
- Someone possessing extraordinary intelligence or skill; especially somebody who has demonstrated this by a creative or original work in science, music, art etc.
- Extraordinary mental capacity.
- Inspiration, a mental leap, an extraordinary creative process.
- a work of genius
- (Roman mythology) The guardian spirit of a place or person.
- A way of thinking, optimizing one's capacity for learning and understanding.
OriginSee also: génius