- The definition of an idiot is a fool or stupid person.
An example of an idiot is a person who thinks it's safe to play in traffic.
Only an idiot would cross the street this way.
idiot definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete a retarded person mentally equal or inferior to a child two years old
- a very foolish or stupid person
Origin: Middle English idiote ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin idiota, ignorant and common person ; from Classical Greek idiōtēs, layman, ignorant person ; from idios, one's own, peculiar: see idio-
idiot definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A foolish or stupid person.
- A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
Origin: Middle English, ignorant person, from Old French idiote, from Latin idiōta, from Greek idiōtēs, private person, layman, from idios, own, private; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.
idiot - Medical Definition
- idiotic adjective