Only an idiot would cross the street this way.
- The definition of an idiot is a fool or stupid person.
An example of an idiot is a person who thinks it's safe to play in traffic.
- Obsolete a retarded person mentally equal or inferior to a child two years old
- a very foolish or stupid person
Origin of idiotMiddle English idiote ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin idiota, ignorant and common person ; from Classical Greek idiōtēs, layman, ignorant person ; from idios, one's own, peculiar: see idio-
- A person who is considered foolish or stupid.
- A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
Origin of idiotMiddle English, ignorant person, from Old French idiote, from Latin idiōta, from Greek idiōtēs, private person, layman, from idios, own, private; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.
- (slang, derogatory) A proponent of intelligent design.
Blend of ID (“intelligent design”) and idiot