Only an idiot would cross the street this way.
An example of an idiot is a person who thinks it's safe to play in traffic.
- Obs. a disabled person mentally equal or inferior to a child two years old
- a very foolish or stupid person
Origin of idiotMiddle English idiote ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin idiota, ignorant and common person ; from Classical Greek idi?t?s, layman, ignorant person ; from idios, one's own, peculiar: see idio-
- A person who is considered foolish or stupid.
- A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
Origin of idiotMiddle English, ignorant person, from Old French idiote, from Latin idi&omacron;ta, from Greek idi&omacron;t&emacron;s, private person, layman, from idios, own, private; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.
- (slang, derogatory) A proponent of intelligent design.
Blend of ID (“intelligent design”) and idiot