- The definition of an idiot is a fool or stupid person.
An example of an idiot is a person who thinks it's safe to play in traffic.
- Obsolete a retarded person mentally equal or inferior to a child two years old
- a very foolish or stupid person
Origin: Middle English idiote from Old French from Classical Latin idiota, ignorant and common person from Glassical Greek idiōtēs, layman, ignorant person from idios, one's own, peculiar: see idio-
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A foolish or stupid person.
- A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
Origin: Middle English, ignorant person, from Old French idiote, from Latin idiōta, from Greek idiōtēs, private person, layman, from idios, own, private; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.
idiot - Medical Definition
- idiotic adjective