intellectual[in′tə lek′c̸ho̵̅o̅ əl]
- Intellectual is defined as someone or something that is rational rather than emotional.
An example of intellectual is consulting a financial advisor about credit debt.
- The definition of an intellectual is a person more interested in logic rather than feelings.
An example of intellectual is a scientist.
- of or pertaining to the intellect
- appealing to the intellect
- requiring or involving the intellect
- inclined toward activities that involve the intellect
- guided by the intellect rather than by feelings
- having or showing a high degree of intellect; having superior reasoning powers
Origin of intellectualMiddle English ; from Late Latin intellectualis
- a person with intellectual interests or tastes
- a person engaged in intellectual work
- a member of the intelligentsia
- a. Of or relating to the intellect.b. Rational rather than emotional: an intellectual decision.
- Appealing to or engaging the intellect: an intellectual book; an intellectual problem.
- a. Having or showing intellect, especially to a high degree. See Synonyms at intelligent.b. Given to activities or pursuits that require exercise of the intellect.
Origin of intellectualMiddle English, from Old French intellectuel, from Late Latin intellēctuālis, from Latin intellēctus, intellect; see intellect.
(comparative more intellectual, superlative most intellectual)
- Belonging to, or performed by, the intellect; mental or cognitive; as, intellectual powers, activities, etc.
- Endowed with intellect; having the power of understanding; having capacity for the higher forms of knowledge or thought; characterized by intelligence or mental capacity; as, an intellectual person.
- Suitable for exercising the intellect; formed by, and existing for, the intellect alone; perceived by the intellect; as, intellectual employments.
- Relating to the understanding; treating of the mind; as, intellectual philosophy, sometimes called "mental" philosophy.
- (archaic, poetic) Spiritual.
From Old French intellectuel, from Latin intellectualis