- Intellect is defined as your ability to reason and to understand things.
An example of intellect is what you use to think abstractly.
intellect definition by Webster's New World
- the ability to reason or understand or to perceive relationships, differences, etc.; power of thought; mind
- great mental ability; high intelligence
- a mind or intelligence, esp. a superior one
- a person of high intelligence
- minds or intelligent persons, collectively
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin intellectus, a perceiving, understanding ; from past participle of intellegere, intelligere, to perceive, understand ; from inter-, between, among plush legere, to gather, pick, choose: see logic
- intellective adjective
intellect definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The ability to learn and reason; the capacity for knowledge and understanding.b. The ability to think abstractly or profoundly. See Synonyms at mind.
- A person of great intellectual ability.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French intellecte, from Latin intellēctus, perception, from past participle of intellegere, to perceive; see intelligent.
intellect - Computer Definition
A natural language query program for IBM mainframes developed by Artificial Intelligence Corporation. The company was later acquired by Trinzic Corporation, which was acquired by Platinum, which was acquired by Computer Associates.