- Intellect is defined as your ability to reason and to understand things.
An example of intellect is what you use to think abstractly.
- the ability to reason or understand or to perceive relationships, differences, etc.; power of thought; mind
- great mental ability; high intelligence
- a mind or intelligence, esp. a superior one
- a person of high intelligence
- minds or intelligent persons, collectively
Origin of intellectMiddle English ; from Classical Latin intellectus, a perceiving, understanding ; from past participle of intellegere, intelligere, to perceive, understand ; from inter-, between, among + legere, to gather, pick, choose: see logic
- a. The ability to learn and reason; the capacity for knowledge and understanding: “Opinion is ultimately determined by the feelings, and not by the intellect” (Herbert Spencer).b. A person's individual ability to think and reason: “[His] humanitarianism could never overcome the rigidities of his intellect or the shortcomings of his temperament” (Michael B. Stoff).
- A person of great intellectual ability: “Gifted as both an athlete and an intellect, [he] received help from teachers who recognized his talents” (Anita Silvey).
Origin of intellectMiddle English, from Old French intellecte, from Latin intellēctus, perception, from past participle of intellegere, to perceive; see intelligent.
(countable and uncountable, plural intellects)
- the faculty of thinking, judging, abstract reasoning, and conceptual understanding; the cognitive faculty (uncountable)
- Intellect is one of man's greatest powers.
- the capacity of that faculty (in a particular person) (uncountable)
- They were chosen because of their outstanding intellect.
- a person who has that faculty to a great degree
- Some of the world's leading intellects were meeting there.
intellect - Computer Definition
A natural language query program for IBM mainframes developed by Artificial Intelligence Corporation. The company was later acquired by Trinzic Corporation, which was acquired by Platinum, which was acquired by Computer Associates.