- The definition of an acquaintance is someone you know casually but don't know as well as you know a friend.
An example of an acquaintance is anyone you went to school with but don't keep in touch with on a regular basis.
acquaintance definition by Webster's New World
- knowledge (of something) gotten from personal experience or study of it: an intimate acquaintance with the plays of Jonson
- the state or relation of being acquainted (with someone)
- a person or persons whom one knows, but not intimately
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- acquaintanceship noun
acquaintance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. Knowledge of a person acquired by a relationship less intimate than friendship.b. A relationship based on such knowledge: struck up an acquaintance with our new neighbor.
- A person whom one knows.
- Knowledge or information about something or someone: has a passing acquaintance with Chinese history.
- ac·quainˈtance·shipˌ noun
acquaintance - Phrases/Idioms
make someone's acquaintance
to become an acquaintance of someone