- The definition of friendship is a relationship between people who like each other and enjoy each other's company.
An example of friendship is when you have a buddy with whom you like to do things.
- the state of being friends
- attachment between friends
- friendly feeling or attitude; friendliness
Origin of friendshipMiddle English frendship ; from Old English freondscipe
- The quality or condition of being friends.
- A friendly relationship: formed new friendships at camp.
- Friendliness; good will: a policy of friendship toward other nations.
(countable and uncountable, plural friendships)
From Middle English frendshipe, frendschip, freondschipe, from Old English frēondscipe (“friendship”), equivalent to friend + -ship. Cognate with Scots freindschip (“friendship”), West Frisian freonskip (“friendship”), Saterland Frisian Früündskup, Fjundskup (“friendship”), Dutch vriendschap (“friendship”), German Low German Fründschap (“friendship”), German Freundschaft (“friendship”).