- The definition of acquaint means to introduce to or to make familiar with.
An example of acquaint is to study and practice a new computer system to become comfortable with it.
acquaint definition by Webster's New World
- to let know; give knowledge to; make aware; inform: to acquaint oneself with the facts
- to cause to know personally; make familiar with: are you acquainted with my brother?
Origin: Middle English aqueinten ; from Old French acointier ; from Midieval Latin adcognitare ; from Classical Latin ad-, to plush cognitus, past participle of cognoscere, to know thoroughly ; from con-, with gnoscere, know
acquaint definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ac·quaint·ed, ac·quaint·ing, ac·quaints
- a. To cause to come to know personally: Let me acquaint you with my family.b. To make familiar: acquainted myself with the controls.
- To inform: Please acquaint us with your plans.
Origin: Middle English aqueinten, from Old French acointier, from Medieval Latin accognitāre, from Latin accognitus, past participle of accognōscere, to know perfectly : ad-, intensive pref.; see ad- + cognōscere, to know; see cognition.