- Familiarity is defined as knowledge of someone or something, or to a feeling of comfort and closeness with someone or something.
- When you have heard of a brand of computer, this is an example of a familiarity with the computer.
- When you have lunch with an old friend and fall back into the patterns of your past, this is an example of feeling a sense of familiarity.
- close association; intimacy
- free and intimate behavior; absence of formality and ceremony
- intimacy that is too bold or unwelcome
- a highly intimate act, remark, etc.; often, specif., a caress or other act of sexual intimacy
- close acquaintance (with something)
Origin: Middle English familiarite ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin familiaritas ; from familiaris: see familiar
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. fa·mil·iar·i·ties
- Considerable acquaintance with.
- Established friendship; intimacy.
- a. An excessively familiar or informal act; an impropriety.b. A sexual advance.
- The quality or condition of being familiar.