The definition of an impropriety is an improper behavior.
An example of an impropriety is a woman wearing a wedding dress to someone else's wedding.
- the quality of being improper
- improper action or behavior
- an improper or unacceptable use of a word or phrase (Ex.: “borrow” for “lend”)
Origin of impropriety; from Middle French impropriété or ; from Classical Latin improprietas: see in- and amp; propriety
- The quality or condition of being improper.
- An improper act.
- An improper or unacceptable usage in speech or writing.
(countable and uncountable, plural improprieties)