- Propriety is the quality of being appropriate, suitable or following the proper custom.
An example of propriety is returning the rsvp card in response to a wedding invitation.
propriety definition by Webster's New World
- the quality of being proper, fitting, or suitable; fitness
- conformity with what is proper or fitting
- conformity with accepted standards of proper manners or behavior
- peculiar or proper nature or state
- a peculiarity
- Obsolete private property
Origin: Middle English propriete ; from Old French proprieté: see property
propriety definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. pro·pri·e·ties
- The quality of being proper; appropriateness.
- Conformity to prevailing customs and usages.
- proprieties The usages and customs of polite society.
Origin: Middle English propriete, particular character, ownership, from Old French; see property.
propriety - Phrases/Idioms