- The definition of incongruity is when things don’t match as they are expected to.
An example of an incongruity is a wealthy woman who drives an old beaten up car.
incongruity definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the condition, quality, or fact of being incongruous; specif.,
- lack of harmony or agreement
- lack of fitness or appropriateness
- pl. incongruities something incongruous
Origin: Midieval Latin incongruitas ; from Classical Latin incongruus
incongruity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. in·con·gru·i·ties
- Lack of congruence.
- The state or quality of being incongruous.
- Something incongruous.