The definition of incongruity is when things don’t match as they are expected to.noun
An example of an incongruity is a wealthy woman who drives an old beaten up car.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- the condition, quality, or fact of being incongruous; specif.,
- lack of harmony or agreement
- lack of fitness or appropriateness
- pl. incongruities something incongruous
Origin: ML incongruitas < L incongruus
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. in·con·gru·i·ties
- Lack of congruence.
- The state or quality of being incongruous.
- Something incongruous.