- Difference is defined as the features that make one thing distinct from another or the condition of when a change is made.
- An example of difference is black and white.
- An example of difference is when you want to change the world.
The difference between one bulb and the others is that it's lit.
difference definition by Webster's New World
- condition, quality, fact, or instance of being different
- the way in which people or things are different; esp., a determining point or factor that makes for a distinct change or contrast
- the state of holding a differing opinion; disagreement
- the point at issue; point of disagreement
- a dispute; quarrel
- a discrimination or distinction in preference
- a significant effect on or change in a situation
- Math. the amount by which one quantity differs from another; remainder left after subtraction
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin differentia ; from differens, present participle of differre: see differ
difference definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The quality or condition of being unlike or dissimilar.
- a. An instance of disparity or unlikeness.b. A degree or amount by which things differ.c. A specific point or element that distinguishes one thing from another.
- A noticeable change or effect: Exercise has made a difference in her health.
- a. A disagreement or controversy.b. A cause of a disagreement or controversy.
- Discrimination in taste or choice; distinction.
- Mathematics a. The amount by which one quantity is greater or less than another.b. The amount that remains after one quantity is subtracted from another.
- Archaic A distinct mark or peculiarity.
difference - Medical Definition
difference - Phrases/Idioms
(it's the) same difference
make a difference
- to have an effect; matter
- to change the outlook or situation
make no difference
split the difference
- to share the remainder equally
- to make a compromise
what's the difference?