- The definition of conformity is similarity or harmony, or the following of rules and social norms.
- A school's policy of having all students wear the same uniform is an example of conformity.
- Dressing formally to go to your job at the bank is an example of conformity.
- the condition or fact of being in harmony or agreement; correspondence; congruity; similarity
- action in accordance with customs, rules, prevailing opinion, etc.; conventional behavior
- Eng. History adherence to the practices of the Anglican Church
Origin: Middle English conformite ; from Old French ; from Midieval Latin an unverified form conformitas ; from Classical Latin conformare: see conform
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. con·form·i·ties
- Similarity in form or character; agreement: I acted in conformity with my principles.
- Action or behavior in correspondence with socially accepted standards, conventions, rules, or laws: conformity to university regulations.
- Geology The relationship between adjacent layers of sedimentary rock.