- to bring to the natural, or usual, state
- to bring into conformity with a standard, pattern, model, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb nor·mal·ized, nor·mal·iz·ing, nor·mal·iz·es verb, transitive
- To make normal, especially to cause to conform to a standard or norm: normalize a patient's temperature; normalizing relations with a former enemy nation.
- To make (a text or language) regular and consistent, especially with respect to spelling or style.
- To remove strains and reduce coarse crystalline structures in (metal), especially by heating and cooling.
- norˌmal·i·zaˈtion noun
- norˈmal·izˌer noun