The definition of a departure is a deviation, or the act of leaving or starting on a trip.noun
- An example of a departure is changing a home building plan from a one-story to a two-story home.
- An example of a departure is flying from home on a vacation.
- a departing, or going away
- a starting out, as on a trip or new course of action
- a deviation or turning aside (from)
- Archaic death
- Naut. the distance due east or west from the meridian of its starting point covered by a ship on a given course
Origin: ME < OFr departeure
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act of leaving.
- A starting out, as on a trip or a new course of action.
- A divergence or deviation, as from an established rule, plan, or procedure: ordered curry as a departure from his usual bland diet.
- Nautical The distance sailed due east or west by a ship on its course.