- The definition of a conflict is a fight or disagreement.
An example of conflict is an argument over parenting styles.
- Conflict means to clash with someone or something.
An example of conflict is to disagree with someone over opposite opinions.
A girl is distressed by the conflict between her parents.
conflict definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete to fight; battle; contend
- to be antagonistic, incompatible, or contradictory; be in opposition; clash: ideas that conflict
Origin: Middle English conflicten ; from Classical Latin conflictus, past participle of confligere, to strike together ; from com-, together plush fligere, to strike: see inflict
- a fight or struggle, esp. a protracted one; war
- sharp disagreement or opposition, as of interests or ideas; clash
- emotional disturbance resulting from a clash of opposing impulses or from an inability to reconcile impulses with realistic or moral considerations
- Rare collision of moving bodies
conflict definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A state of open, often prolonged fighting; a battle or war.
- A state of disharmony between incompatible or antithetical persons, ideas, or interests; a clash.
- Psychology A psychic struggle, often unconscious, resulting from the opposition or simultaneous functioning of mutually exclusive impulses, desires, or tendencies.
- Opposition between characters or forces in a work of drama or fiction, especially opposition that motivates or shapes the action of the plot.
- To be in or come into opposition; differ.
- Archaic To engage in warfare.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin cōnflīctus, collision, from past participle of cōnflīgere, to strike together : com-, com- + flīgere, to strike.
- con·flicˈtion noun
- con·flicˈtive adjective
- con·flicˈtu·al adjective
conflict - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also war.antagonist an opponent in any kind of contest or conflict. Also called antipathist. antipathist Rare. an antagonist. antipathy an attitude of antagonism or aversion. commination the act of threatening, especially revenge or punishment. contumacy a refusal to obey; defiance. duelist, duellist 1. a person engaged in a duel. 2. a person skilled at dueling. feudist a person who participates in a feud or other conflict. insurgentism the state of being an insurgent or rebel; the activities of insurgents or rebels. Jacquerie a revolt of peasants against the social classes above them. monomachy, monomachia single combat; a duel. —monomachist, n. neutrality the state or position of being impartial or not allied with or committed to any party or viewpoint in a conflict, especially a war or armed conflict, —neutral, n., adj. opponency 1. the state or quality of being an opponent. 2. an act or instance of opposing. oppugnancy 1. the state or quality of being an antagonist. 2. an act or instance of antagonism. —oppugnant, adj. pacation Rare. the act or process of appeasing. rebeldom 1. rebels collectively or as a group. 2. an area or region held by rebels. sciamachy battle with shadows or imaginary enemies. velitation a skirmish or other minor conflict.
conflict - Medical Definition