sideways definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- from the side
- so as to present a side; with one side forward
- toward one side; laterally; obliquely
turned or moving toward or from one side
sideways definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
also side·wayadverb & adj.
- Toward one side: took a step sideways; a sideways glance.
- From one side: a painting lit sideways; sideways pressure.
- With the side forward: turned sideways to show the profile; a sideways view.