- toward the side; laterally; obliquely
- on the side; side downward
Origin of sidelongaltered (based on along) from sideling
- inclined; slanting; sloping
- directed to the side, as a glance
- indirect; subtle or devious: a sidelong remark
- Directed to one side; sideways: a sidelong glance.
- So as to slant; sloping.
- On or toward the side; sideways.
- In an oblique manner.
Origin of sidelongAlteration of sideling
(comparative more sidelong, superlative most sidelong)
- Towards the side; sideways.