- The definition of collide means to crash into something or to have conflict.
- Running full speed into a sliding glass door is an example of to collide.
- Getting into a heated political debate is an example of to collide.
collide definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
collide definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb col·lid·ed, col·lid·ing, col·lides
- To come together with violent, direct impact.
- To meet in opposition; conflict: “an unlikely foray by an industrial conglomerate into the terrain where entertainment and merchandising collide” (Laura Bird).
Origin: Latin collīdere : com-, com- + laedere, to strike.