- Running full speed into a sliding glass door is an example of to collide.
- Getting into a heated political debate is an example of to collide.
The definition of collide means to crash into something or to have conflict.
intransitive verb-·lid′ed, -·lid′ing
- to come into violent contact; strike violently against each other; crash
- to come into conflict; clash
Origin of collideClassical Latin collidere from com-, together + laedere, to strike, injure
intransitive verbcol·lid·ed, col·lid·ing, col·lides
- To come together with violent, direct impact.
- To meet in opposition; conflict: “an unlikely foray by an industrial conglomerate into the terrain where entertainment and merchandising collide” ( Laura Bird )
Origin of collideLatin collīdere com- com- laedere to strike
(third-person singular simple present collides, present participle colliding, simple past and past participle collided)