- Impinge is defined as to hit, trespass or have an effect on something.
- An example of impinge is rain falling on a windshield.
- An example of impinge is being in a person's personal space.
- to strike, hit, or dash (on, upon, or against something)
- to touch (on or upon); have an effect: an idea that impinges on one's mind
- to make inroads or encroach (on or upon the property or rights of another)
Origin: L impingere from in-, inch(es) plush pangere, to strike: see fang
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb im·pinged, im·ping·ing, im·ping·es verb, intransitive
- To collide or strike: Sound waves impinge on the eardrum.
- To encroach; trespass: Do not impinge on my privacy.
Origin: Latin impingere : in-, against; see in-2 + pangere, to fasten; see pag- in Indo-European roots.
- im·pingeˈment noun
- im·pingˈer noun