- The definition of avoid is to keep something from coming near you, affecting you, or from happening to you.
If during rush hour you take another route so that you will not be in heavy traffic, then that is an example of an action taken to avoid.
avoid definition by Webster's New World
- to make void; annul, invalidate, or quash (a plea, etc. in law)
- to keep away from; evade; shun: to avoid crowds
- to keep from happening: to avoid breakage
- Obsolete to void; empty
- Obsolete to go away from; leave
Origin: Middle English avoiden ; from Anglo-French avoider ; from Old French esvuidier, to empty ; from es- (; from Classical Latin ex-), out plush vuidier: see void
avoid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb a·void·ed, a·void·ing, a·voids
- To stay clear of; shun. See Synonyms at escape.
- To keep from happening: avoid illness with rest and a balanced diet.
- Law To annul or make void; invalidate.
- Obsolete To void or expel.
Origin: Middle English avoiden, from Anglo-Norman avoider, to empty out, variant of Old French esvuidier : es-, out (from Latin ex-; see ex-) + vuidier, to empty (from voide, empty; see void).
- a·voidˈa·ble adjective
- a·voidˈa·bly adverb
- a·voidˈer noun
avoid - Legal Definition