- Warfare is engagement in violent conflict, or the activities involved with violent conflict.
- Bombing a country you are in a dispute with is an example of warfare.
- Pitting one class of people against another, making the poor hate the rich, is an example of class warfare.
- the action of waging war; armed conflict
- conflict or struggle of any kind
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The waging of war against an enemy; armed conflict.b. Military operations marked by a specific characteristic: guerrilla warfare; chemical warfare.
- A state of disharmony or conflict; strife: constant spousal warfare in the household.
- Acts undertaken to destroy or undermine the strength of another: political warfare.
Origin: Middle English : warre, war; see war + fare, journey (from Old English faru, from faran, to journey; see fare).