- The definition of a combat is a battle or struggle.
An example of a combat is a street fight.
- Combat means to fight or struggle.
An example of combat is for a superhero to fight a criminal.
Combat soldiers in Iraq.
combat definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French combattre ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form combattere ; from Classical Latin com-, with plush battuere, to beat, fight: see batter
- armed fighting; battle
- any struggle or conflict; strife
Origin: Fr < the v.
combat definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb com·bat·ed or com·bat·ted, com·bat·ing or com·bat·ting, com·bats verb, transitive
- To oppose in battle; fight against.
- To oppose vigorously; struggle against. See Synonyms at oppose.
- Of or relating to combat: flew 50 combat missions.
- Intended for use or deployment in combat: combat boots; combat troops.
Origin: French combattre, from Old French, from Late Latin combattere : Latin com-, com- + Latin battere, to beat (alteration of battuere).