Combat means to fight or struggle.verb
An example of combat is for a superhero to fight a criminal.
The definition of a combat is a battle or struggle.noun
An example of a combat is a street fight.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
Origin: Fr combattre < VL *combattere < L com-, with + battuere, to beat, fight: see batter
- armed fighting; battle
- any struggle or conflict; strife
Origin: Fr < the v.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb com·bat·ed or com·bat·ted, com·bat·ing or com·bat·ting, com·bats verb, transitive
- To oppose in battle; fight against.
- To oppose vigorously; struggle against. See Synonyms at oppose.
- Of or relating to combat: flew 50 combat missions.
- Intended for use or deployment in combat: combat boots; combat troops.
Origin: French combattre, from Old French, from Late Latin combattere : Latin com-, com- + Latin battere, to beat (alteration of battuere).