- of ancient Greek athletic contests
- strained for effect
Origin of agonisticClassical Greek ag?nistikos, fit for contest from ag?n, agon
- Of or relating to an agonist.
- Striving to overcome in argument; combative: “In the far more consequential world of business and finance … pretensions of youthful vigor and agonistic prowess reign supreme” ( Theodore Roszack )
- Of or relating to contests, originally those of the ancient Greeks.
- Of or relating to behavior associated with conflict between one animal and another.
(comparative more agonistic, superlative most agonistic)
From Ancient Greek ἀγωνιστικός (agōnistikos).