- of Pennsylvania: usually used in the predicate
Origin of Pennsylvanianafter Pennsylvania, site of exposures of such deposits designating or of the second and last geologic subdivision or epoch of the Carboniferous Period, characterized by the development of vast deposits of dead, coal-forming plant matter and the first conifers and reptiles
a person born or living in Pennsylvania
the Pennsylvanian subdivision or epoch of the Carboniferous Period or its rocks
- Of or relating to Pennsylvania.
- Of, relating to, or being the period of geologic time from about 318 to 299 million years ago, the sixth period of the Paleozoic Era. The Pennsylvanian Period is characterized by the appearance of the first reptiles and widespread swamp forests. See Table at geologic time.
- A native or resident of Pennsylvania.
- The Pennsylvanian Period. Also called Upper Carboniferous.
Origin of PennsylvanianAfter Pennsylvania.