Pennsylvania DutchPennsylvania Dutch
- the descendants of early German immigrants, principally from the Palatinate, who settled mainly in E Pennsylvania
- the High German dialect of this peoplealso called Pennsylvania German
- their form of folk art, characterized by carved or painted, stylized decorations of flowers, fruits, birds, etc., as on furniture
Origin of Pennsylvania DutchDutch from similar-sounding German Deutsch, German: see Deutschland
- used with a pl. verb The descendants of German and Swiss immigrants who settled in Pennsylvania in the 1600s and 1700s.
- The dialect of High German spoken by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Also called Dutch . Also called Pennsylvania German . all
- The style of folk art and decorative arts developed by the Pennsylvania Dutch.
Origin of Pennsylvania DutchAlteration of German Deutsch German ; see Plattdeutsch .
- Related to Pennsylvania German people, or their language.