Yesterday is the day before today.noun
If today is Monday, then Sunday is an example of yesterday.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- the day before today; day just past
- a recent day or time
- time gone by
Origin: ME yistredai < OE geostrandæg < geostran, yesterday (akin to Ger gestern < IE *ĝhyes > Sans hyáḥ, L heri, yesterday) + dæg, day
- on or during the day before today
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The day before the present day.
- also yesterdays Time in the past, especially the recent past.
- On the day before the present day.
- A short while ago.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English geostran dǽg : geostran, yesterday; see yester- + dǽg, day; see Day .