- Yesterday is the day before today.
If today is Monday, then Sunday is an example of yesterday.
Yesterday, today and tomorrow.
yesterday definition by Webster's New World
- the day before today; day just past
- a recent day or time
- time gone by
Origin: Middle English yistredai ; from Old English geostrandæg ; from geostran, yesterday (akin to German gestern ; from Indo-European an unverified form ĝhyes from source Sanskrit hyáḥ, Classical Latin heri, yesterday) plush dæg, day
- on or during the day before today
yesterday definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The day before the present day.
- also yesterdays Time in the past, especially the recent past.
- On the day before the present day.
- A short while ago.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English geostran dǽg : geostran, yesterday; see yester- + dǽg, day; see Day .