- Yesterday is the day before today.
If today is Monday, then Sunday is an example of yesterday.
Yesterday, today and tomorrow.
- the day before today; day just past
- a recent day or time
- time gone by
Origin of yesterdayMiddle English yistredai ; from Old English geostrandæg ; from geostran, yesterday (akin to German gestern ; from Indo-European an unverified form ĝhyes from source Sanskrit hyáḥ, Classical Latin heri, yesterday) + dæg, day
- on or during the day before today
- The day before the present day.
- also yesterdays Time in the past, especially the recent past.
- On the day before the present day.
- A short while ago.
Origin of yesterdayMiddle English, from Old English geostran dæg : geostran, yesterday; see yester– + dæg, day; see Day .
- The term yesterdays is unusual and often poetic for the recent past, e.g. "all our yesterdays have come back to haunt us."