The definition of possible is something that can happen.
An example of possible is the chance of a high school valedictorian getting into Yale.
- that can be; capable of existing
- that can be in the future; that may or may not happen
- that can be done, known, acquired, selected, used, etc., depending on circumstances: a possible candidate
- that can happen or be; potential
- that may be done; permissible
- that may be a fact or the truth
- Informal that can be put up with; tolerable
Origin of possibleOld French ; from Classical Latin possibilis ; from posse, to be able: see potent
- Capable of happening, existing, or being true without contradicting proven facts, laws, or circumstances: Is it possible to move faster than the speed of light?
- Capable of becoming or of being made to be so; potential: possible suspects in the case; a possible site for the new capital.
- Capable of occurring or being done in accordance with something specified. Used with the superlative: You'll get the best possible care at this hospital.
- Capable of happening but of uncertain likelihood: It is possible that you might feel some discomfort after the procedure.
- Permissible: Is it possible to enter the gallery at this hour?
Origin of possibleMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin possibilis, from posse, to be able; see poti- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative possibler or more possible, superlative possiblest or most possible)
- (usually not comparable) Able but not certain to happen; neither inevitable nor impossible.
- Rain tomorrow is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.
- It's not just possible, it's probable.
- (comparable) Capable of being done or achieved; feasible.
- It's possible for anyone to learn to pay the bagpipes.
- Being considered, e.g. for a position.
- Jones and Smith are both possible for the opening in sales.
- A possible one
- (colloquial, rare) A possible choice, notably someone being considered for a position.
- Jones is a possible for the new opening in sales.
- (rare) A particular event that may happen.