- The definition of a possibility is something that may be true or might occur, or something that can be chosen from among a series of choices.
- If there is a 50-50 chance that you might attend a party, this is an example of a possibility you will attend.
- When you have a red dress to wear or a green dress to wear, the green dress is an example of a possibility you may choose from.
- the quality or condition of being possible
- pl. possibilities something that is possible
Origin of possibilityMiddle English possibilite ; from Late Latin possibilitas
- The fact or state of being possible: investigating the possibility of life on other planets.
- Something that is possible: His promotion now seems a possibility.
- One that is capable of being chosen or of being made real: She is a strong possibility in the senatorial race. There are several possibilities for dessert.
- possibilities Potentiality for favorable or interesting results: The idea has great possibilities.
- The quality of being possible.
- An option or choice, usually used in context with future events.
possibility - Legal Definition
The chance of something’s happening, regardless of whether or not it actually occurs; a contingent interest in property, whether real or personal.