probability[präb′ə bil′ə tē]
- When there is a 50 percent chance of something, this is an example of a time when the event has a probability of 50 percent.
- When there are gray clouds in the sky, this is an example of a time when there is a high probability of rain.
Probability is defined as the likelihood of something occurring or the chance of something happening.
- the quality or state of being probable; likelihood
- something probable
- Math. the ratio of the number of times something will probably occur to the total number of possible occurrences
Origin of probabilityMiddle French probabilité ; from Classical Latin probabilitas
in all probability
- The quality or condition of being probable; likelihood.
- A probable situation, condition, or event: Her election is a clear probability.
- a. The likelihood that a given event will occur: little probability of rain tonight.b. Statistics A number, ranging from zero to one, expressing either the projected likelihood that a specific event will occur or the observed ratio of the number of actual occurrences to the number of possible occurrences.