- Walking to the moon is an example of something that would be described as impossible.
- Someone who is really demanding, and who is never pleased no matter what, is an example of someone who would be described as impossible.
The definition of impossible is something that cannot be done, that cannot be true, or it also is something or someone who is hard to deal with.
- not capable of being, being done, or happening
- not capable of being done easily or conveniently
- not capable of being endured, used, agreed to, etc. because disagreeable or unsuitable: an impossible task, an impossible request
Origin of impossibleOld French from Classical Latin impossibilis: see in- and possible
- Incapable of having existence or of occurring.
- Not capable of being accomplished: an impossible goal.
- Unacceptable; intolerable: impossible behavior.
- Extremely difficult to deal with or tolerate: an impossible child; an impossible situation.
Origin of impossibleMiddle English from Old French from Latin impossibilis in- not ; see in- 1. possibilis possible ; see possible .
(comparative more impossible, superlative most impossible)
- an impossibility
- (uncountable) (with definite article) that which seems impossible
- If we work together, we can achieve the impossible!