- The definition of impossible is something that cannot be done, that cannot be true, or it also is something or someone who is hard to deal with.
- Walking to the moon is an example of something that would be described as impossible.
- Someone who is really demanding, and who is never pleased no matter what, is an example of someone who would be described as impossible.
- not capable of being, being done, or happening
- not capable of being done easily or conveniently
- not capable of being endured, used, agreed to, etc. because disagreeable or unsuitable: an impossible task, an impossible request
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin impossibilis: see in- and amp; possible
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Incapable of having existence or of occurring.
- Not capable of being accomplished: an impossible goal.
- Unacceptable; intolerable: impossible behavior.
- Extremely difficult to deal with or tolerate: an impossible child; an impossible situation.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin impossibilis : in-, not; see in-1 + possibilis, possible; see possible.
- im·posˈsi·bly adverb