- The definition of a possum, or opossum, is a tree-dwelling nocturnal marsupial with fur and a prehensile tail.
A small Australian mammal that lives in a tree and only comes out at night is an example of a possum.
to pretend to be asleep, dead, ill, unaware, etc.: an opossum may become motionless when endangered
- Chiefly Southern US An opossum. See Note at tater.
- Any of several nocturnal arboreal marsupials of the suborder Phalangeriformes, native to Australia and adjacent islands and introduced elsewhere.
Origin of possumShort for opossum.
- (US) An opossum, a marsupial of the family Didelphidae of the Americas.
- Any of the marsupials in several families of the order Diprotodontia of Australia and neighboring islands.