- The definition of absurd is something that is so untrue or impossible it is funny.
An example of absurd is a child telling a story about a dinosaur eating their homework.
Origin: French absurde ; from Classical Latin absurdus, not to be heard of ; from ab-, intensive plush surdus, dull, deaf, insensible
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Ridiculously incongruous or unreasonable. See Synonyms at foolish.
- Of, relating to, or manifesting the view that there is no order or value in human life or in the universe.
- Of or relating to absurdism or the absurd.
Origin: Latin absurdus, out of tune, absurd : ab-, intensive pref.; see ab-1 + surdus, deaf, muffled.
- ab·surdˈi·ty , ab·surdˈness noun
- ab·surdˈly adverb