- Lunatic is defined as someone or something that is wild, crazy or absurd.
Wild and crazy behavior is an example of something that would be described as lunatic behavior.
- The definition of a lunatic is a person who is either actually crazy or who is acting crazy and wild in his behavior.
- A crazy person is an example of a lunatic.
- A person who behaves in a really wild and bizarre manner is an example of a lunatic.
lunatic definition by Webster's New World
- suffering from lunacy; insane
- of or characterized by lunacy
- of or for insane persons
- utterly foolish
Origin: Middle English lunatik ; from Old French lunatique ; from Late Latin lunaticus, moon-struck, crazy ; from Classical Latin luna, the moon: see light
lunatic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Suffering from lunacy; insane.
- Of or for the insane.
- Wildly or giddily foolish: a lunatic decision.
- Characterized by lunacy or eccentricity.
Origin: Middle English lunatik, from Old French lunatique, from Latin lūnāticus, from lūna, moon; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.
- luˈna·tic noun