- The definition of insane is someone who acts or speaks strangely because their brain isn’t working correctly.
An example of insane is a person who goes shopping without any pants on.
- Insane is defined as very foolish or senseless behavior.
An example of insane is a person who goes on an expensive vacation after just losing a job.
A man exhibits insane behavior.
insane definition by Webster's New World
- not sane; mentally ill or deranged; demented; mad: not a technical term
- ☆ of or for insane people: an insane asylum
- very foolish, impractical, extravagant, etc.; senseless
Origin: Classical Latin insanus
- insanely adverb
insane definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Of, exhibiting, or afflicted with insanity.b. Characteristic of or associated with persons afflicted with insanity: an insane laugh; insane babbling.c. Intended for use by such persons: an insane asylum.
- Immoderate; wild: insane jealousy.
- Very foolish; absurd: took insane risks behind the wheel.
Origin: Latin īnsānus : in-, not; see in-1 + sānus, sane, healthy.
- in·saneˈly adverb
- in·saneˈness noun
insane - Medical Definition