A man exhibits insane behavior.
- Insane is defined as very foolish or senseless behavior.
An example of insane is a person who goes on an expensive vacation after just losing a job.
- The definition of insane is someone who acts or speaks strangely because their brain isn’t working correctly.
An example of insane is a person who goes shopping without any pants on.
- not sane; mentally ill or deranged; demented; mad: now a nontechnical term except in legal usage
- ⌂ of or for insane people: an insane asylum
- Informal very foolish, excessive, fantastic, etc.
Origin of insaneClassical Latin insanus
- a. Of, exhibiting, or afflicted with mental derangement. Not used in psychiatric diagnosis.b. Characteristic of or associated with persons who are mentally deranged: an insane laugh; insane babbling.c. Intended for use by such persons: an insane asylum.
- Having been determined to be in a condition that meets the legal definition of insanity.
- Immoderate; wild: insane jealousy.
- Very foolish; absurd: took insane risks behind the wheel.
Origin of insaneLatin &imacron;nsanus : in-, not; see in–1 + sanus, sane, healthy.
(comparative more insane, superlative most insane)
- Exhibiting unsoundness or disorder of mind; not sane; mad; deranged in mind; delirious; distracted.
- Used by, or appropriated to, insane persons; as, an insane hospital.
- Causing insanity or madness.
- Characterized by insanity or the utmost folly; chimerical; unpractical; as, an insane plan, attempt, etc.
From Latin īnsānus (“unsound in mind; mad, insane”), from in- + sānus (“sound, sane”).