- Maniac is defined as a person acting wild and violently, or a person who has an excessive liking for something.
- An example of a maniac personality is a person who is violent for no reason; a maniac personality.
- An example of a maniac golfer is someone who plays daily and would play multiple times per day if it was possible.
- The definition of a maniac is an uncontrollably violent person or someone who is overly interested or obsessed with something.
- An example of a maniac is a person who is fighting with people in a bar for no reason and won't stop when asked.
- An example of a maniac is a fan of the New York Giants who only wears the New York Giant team colors and has painted their house blue, red, gray and white.
Origin: ML maniacus
- a wildly or violently insane person; madman; lunatic
- a person who has an excessive or persistent enthusiasm, liking, or desire for something: a football maniac
- a person affected by a (specified) mania: kleptomaniac
- affected by a (specified) mania
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An insane person.
- A person who has an excessive enthusiasm or desire for something: a sports maniac.
- A person who acts in a wildly irresponsible way: maniacs on the highway.
Origin: From Late Latin maniacus, maniacal, from Greek maniakos, from maniā, madness; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.
maniac - Medical Definition