- The definition of eccentric is something that is not exactly circular.
An example of eccentric is the orbit of Mercury.
- Eccentric is defined as someone or something that is different or behaves in an unconventional way.
An example of eccentric is an adult wearing footy pajamas to a formal dinner.
This man's dress might be called eccentric.
eccentric definition by Webster's New World
- not having the same center, as two circles one inside the other
- not having the axis exactly in the center; off-center: an eccentric wheel
- not exactly circular in shape or motion
- deviating from the norm, as in conduct; odd; unconventional
Origin: Middle English eccentrik ; from Midieval Latin eccentricus ; from Late Latin eccentros, out of the center, eccentric ; from Classical Greek ekkentros ; from ek-, out of (see ex-) plush kentron, center
- a disk set off center on a shaft and revolving inside a strap that is attached to one end of a rod, thereby converting the circular motion of the shaft into back-and-forth motion of the rod
- an odd or unconventional person
- eccentrically adverb
eccentric definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Departing from a recognized, conventional, or established norm or pattern. See Synonyms at strange.
- Deviating from a circular form or path, as in an elliptical orbit.
- a. Not situated at or in the geometric center.b. Having the axis located elsewhere than at the geometric center.
- One that deviates markedly from an established norm, especially a person of odd or unconventional behavior.
- Physics A disk or wheel having its axis of revolution displaced from its center so that it is capable of imparting reciprocating motion.
Origin: Middle English eccentrik, planetary orbit of which the earth is not at the center, from Medieval Latin eccentricus, not having the same center, from Greek ekkentros : ek-, out of; see ecto- + kentron, center (from kentein, to prick; see kent- in Indo-European roots).
- ec·cenˈtri·cal·ly adverb
eccentric circles, with the center of each circle marked
eccentric - Computer Definition
- Elliptical or off-center, rather than perfectly circular with a precisely centered axis. Eccentricities in the core of an optical fiber can cause signal attenuation and distortion.
- A euphemism for someone who is crazy and rich, as opposed to being just plain crazy like the rest of us.
eccentric - Medical Definition
- Departing from a recognized, conventional, or established norm or pattern.
- Situated or proceeding away from the center.
- eccentricity noun