- When you go to the doctor on no set schedule, this is an example of a situation where you make irregular visits to the doctor.
- When you do not behave like your usual self, this is an example of a situation where your behavior is irregular.
The definition of irregular is something that doesn't conform to accepted or normal standards or that doesn't occur at regular intervals.
- not conforming to established rule, method, usage, standard, etc.; out of the ordinary; anomalous
- not conforming to legal or moral requirements; lawless; disorderly
- not straight or even; not symmetrical; not uniform in shape, design, or proportion
- uneven in occurrence or succession; variable or erratic
- ⌂ having minor flaws or imperfections: said of merchandise
- not defecating at more or less fixed intervals or times; experiencing constipation
- Bot. not uniform in shape, size, etc., as the petals of a flower
- Gram. not inflected in the usual way: “go” is an irregular verb
- Mil. not belonging to the regularly established army
Origin of irregularMiddle English ; from Old French irregulier ; from Medieval Latin irregularis: see in- and amp; regular
- a person or thing that is irregular
- a soldier who belongs to an irregular military force
- ⌂ irregular merchandise
- Contrary to rule, accepted order, or general practice: irregular hiring practices.
- Not conforming to legality, moral law, or social convention: an irregular marriage.
- Not straight, uniform, or symmetrical: irregular facial features.
- Of uneven rate, occurrence, or duration: an irregular heartbeat.
- Deviating from a type; atypical.
- Botany Having differing floral parts, as of a zygomorphic or asymmetric flower.
- Falling below the manufacturer's standard or usual specifications; imperfect.
- Grammar Departing from the usual pattern of inflection, derivation, or word formation, as the present forms of the verb be or the plural noun children.
- Not belonging to a permanent, organized military force: irregular troops.
- One, such as an item of merchandise, that is irregular.
- A soldier, such as a guerrilla, who is not a member of a regular military force.
(comparative more irregular, superlative most irregular)
- Nonstandard; not conforming to rules or expectations.
- Of a surface, rough.
- Without symmetry, regularity, or uniformity.
- (geometry, of a polygon) Not regular; having sides that are not equal or angles that are not equal.
- (geometry, of a polyhedron) Whose faces are not all regular polygons (are not equally inclined to each other).
OriginSee also: irregulär
From Old French irreguler, from Medieval Latin irregularis, from in- + regularis.