- The definition of outlandish is something bizarre or ridiculously out-of-the-ordinary.
Abnormal, odd behavior is an example of behavior that would be described as outlandish.
- Archaic foreign; alien
- very odd, strange, or peculiar; fantastic; bizarre
- remote; out-of-the-way
Origin of outlandishMiddle English utlandisch ; from Old English utlendisc ; from utland + -isc, -ish
- Conspicuously unconventional; bizarre. See Synonyms at strange.
- Located far from civilized areas; remote: “a schooner that's gettin' ready to go off to some outlandish place to look for buried treasure” (Jack London).
- Archaic Of foreign origin; not native.
(comparative more outlandish, superlative most outlandish)
Old English utlendisc, from Å«tland (“foreign land, land abroad") (English outland). Sense of “bizarre" from 1590s. Surface analysis outland +"Ž -ish.