The definition of whimsical is playful or out of the ordinary.
An example of whimsical is a little girl pretending to be flying around the house like a butterfly.
- full of or characterized by whimsy; quaintly, playfully, or gently humorous
- Archaic fanciful; freakish
- subject to sudden change; unpredictable
- Characterized by, arising from, or subject to whimsy: a whimsical decision.
- Playful or fanciful, especially in a humorous way: “The episodic book is memorable for its &ellipsis; whimsical animal dialogue” (Peter D. Sieruta).
Origin of whimsicalFrom whimsy.
(comparative more whimsical, superlative most whimsical)
From whimsy +"Ž -ical.