- The definition of erratic is something that is not consistent or is lacking in a fixed course.
A mental patient who behaves in a wildly unpredictable manner, happy and kind one minute and angry and shouting the next, is an example of someone witherratic behavior.
- having no fixed course or purpose; irregular; random; wandering
- deviating from the normal, conventional, or customary course; eccentric; queer
- Geol. designating a boulder or rock formation transported some distance from its original source, as by a glacier
Origin of erraticMiddle English erratik ; from Old French erratique ; from Classical Latin erraticus, wandering ; from past participle of errare: see err
- Having no fixed or regular course; wandering: the erratic flight of a moth.
- Lacking consistency, regularity, or uniformity: an erratic heartbeat.
- Deviating from the customary course in conduct or opinion; eccentric: erratic behavior.
Origin of erraticMiddle English erratik, from Old French erratique, from Latin errāticus, from errāre, to wander; see ers- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more erratic, superlative most erratic)