An example of a whim is when you suddenly decide to go to Atlantic City on the spur of the moment because you feel like gambling.
- a sudden fancy; idle and passing notion; capricious idea or desire
- a kind of winch or capstan powered by a horse or steam, formerly used in mines to raise ore or water
Origin of whimshort for whim-wham
- A sudden or capricious idea; a fancy.
- Arbitrary thought or impulse: governed by whim.
- A vertical horse-powered drum used as a hoist in a mine.
Origin of whimShort for whim-wham, fanciful object.
Apocopal derivation of "whim-wham."
- (astronomy) warm-hot intergalactic medium