- The definition of a whimper is a soft, feeble cry, or an anticlimactic or mild ending.
- A low volume crying sound is an example of a whimper.
- A book that ends in a mild and boring manner is an example of a book that ends with a whimper.
- To whimper is to make a low, soft feeble cry or sound usually because you are sad, in pain or otherwise unhappy.
When you feel very sick and let out a very small cry of pain, this is an example of a time when you whimper.
Origin of whimperuncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to whine
verbwhim·pered, whim·per·ing, whim·pers
- To cry or sob with soft intermittent sounds; whine.
- To complain.
Origin of whimperProbably imitative
(third-person singular simple present whimpers, present participle whimpering, simple past and past participle whimpered)