snivel definition by Webster's New World
- to have mucus running from the nose
- to sniff repeatedly, as from a head cold, crying, etc.; sniffle
- to cry and sniffle
- to fret or complain in a whining, tearful manner
- to make a whining, tearful, often false display of grief, sympathy, disappointment, etc.
Origin: Middle English snivelen ; from Old English an unverified form snyflan ; from base seen in snofl, mucus, probably ultimately ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sneu-, to flow
- nasal mucus
- the act of sniveling
- a sniveling display of grief, etc.
- sniveler noun
snivel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb sniv·eled or sniv·elled, sniv·el·ing or sniv·el·ling, sniv·els
- To sniffle.
- To complain or whine tearfully.
- To run at the nose.
- The act of sniffling or sniveling.
- Nasal mucus.
Origin: Middle English snivelen, from Old English *snyflan.
- snivˈel·er noun