- to have mucus running from the nose
- to sniff repeatedly, as from a head cold, crying, etc.; sniffle
- to cry and sniffle
- to fret or complain in a whining, tearful manner
- to make a whining, tearful, often false display of grief, sympathy, disappointment, etc.
Origin of snivelMiddle English snivelen ; from Old English an unverified form snyflan ; from base seen in snofl, mucus, probably ultimately ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sneu-, to flow
- nasal mucus
- the act of sniveling
- a sniveling display of grief, etc.
intransitive verbsniv·eled, sniv·el·ing, sniv·els or sniv·elled or sniv·el·ling
- To sniffle.
- To complain or whine tearfully.
- The act of sniffling or sniveling.
- Nasal mucus.
Origin of snivelMiddle English snivelen, from Old English *snyflan.
(third-person singular simple present snivels, present participle Commonwealth snivelling, US sniveling, simple past and past participle Commonwealth snivelled, US sniveled)