- Vision is eyesight, something that is or has been seen or something imagined.
- An example of vision is what someone sees when they open their eyes.
- An example of vision is a beautiful person in someone's line of sight.
- An example of vision is what a person imagines their ideal home to look like.
- the act or power of seeing with the eye; sense of sight
- something seen by other than normal sight; something perceived in a dream, trance, etc. or supernaturally revealed, as to a prophet
- the experience of having such a perception or revelation
- a mental image; esp., an imaginative contemplation: to have visions of power
- the ability to perceive something not actually visible, as through mental acuteness or keen foresight: a project made possible by one man's vision
- force or power of imagination: a statesman of great vision
- something or someone, esp. a woman, of extraordinary beauty
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin visio from visus, past participle of videre, to see from Indo-European an unverified form w(e)idē, variant, variety of an unverified form w(e)di-, to view, see from source wise
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The faculty of sight; eyesight: poor vision.b. Something that is or has been seen.
- Unusual competence in discernment or perception; intelligent foresight: a leader of vision.
- The manner in which one sees or conceives of something.
- A mental image produced by the imagination.
- The mystical experience of seeing as if with the eyes the supernatural or a supernatural being.
- A person or thing of extraordinary beauty.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin vīsiō, vīsiōn-, from vīsus, past participle of vidēre, to see; see weid- in Indo-European roots.
- viˈsion·al adjective
- viˈsion·al·ly adverb
vision - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
vision - Medical Definition
- The faculty of sight; eyesight.
- The manner in which an individual sees or conceives of something.