- The definition of concept is based on a main idea or a theme.
An example of concept is a book that is focused on satirical poetry.
- A concept is defined as a general idea of something.
An example of concept is a general understanding of American history.
- an idea or thought, esp. a generalized idea of a thing or class of things; abstract notion
- an original idea, design, etc.; conception
- a central or unifying idea or theme: often used attributively: a concept restaurant with a Victorian decor and menu
Origin: Classical Latin conceptus: see conceive
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences.
- Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion. See Synonyms at idea.
- A scheme; a plan: “began searching for an agency to handle a new restaurant concept” (ADWEEK).
Origin: Late Latin conceptus, from Latin, past participle of concipere, to conceive; see conceive.
concept - Medical Definition
- An abstract idea or notion.
- An explanatory principle in a scientific system. Also called conception.