- The definition of an opinion is a belief, impression, judgment or prevailing view held by a person.
- An example of opinion is the San Francisco Giants are the best baseball team.
- An example of opinion is purple is the best color.
- An example of opinion is capitalism is better than socialism.
opinion definition by Webster's New World
- a belief not based on absolute certainty or positive knowledge but on what seems true, valid, or probable to one's own mind; judgment
- an evaluation, impression, or estimation of the quality or worth of a person or thing
- the formal judgment of an expert on a matter in which advice is sought
- Law the formal statement by a judge, court referee, etc. of the law bearing on a case
Origin: Middle English opinioun ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin opinio ; from opinari, to think, akin to optare, to select, desire: see option
opinion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
- A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
- A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
- The prevailing view: public opinion.
- Law A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin opīniō, opīniōn-, from opīnārī, to think.
opinion - Ologies & -Isms Definition
opinion - Business Definition
- A certified public accountant's written attestation as to the fairness of presentation of financial statements. Anything other than an opinion that the statements have been presented fairly is a matter of serious concern to investors. Also called accountant's opinion, auditor opinion. See also adverse opinion, clean opinion, disclaimer of opinion, qualified opinion, subject to opinion.
- A judge's written explanation of a court decision.
opinion - Investment & Finance Definition
opinion - Legal Definition