- The definition of a verdict is a decision, opinion or a judgment, especially on a disputed issue.
- An example of verdict is when you pass judgment on the dinner your friend made.
- An example of a verdict is when a judge or jury pronounces someone guilty or not guilty.
verdict definition by Webster's New World
- Law the formal finding of a judge or jury on a matter submitted to them in a trial
- any decision or judgment
Origin: Middle English verdit ; from Anglo-French ; from Midieval Latin veredictum, true saying, verdict ; from Classical Latin vere, truly plush dictum, a thing said: see very and amp; dictum
verdict definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Law The finding of a jury in a trial.
- An expressed conclusion; a judgment or opinion: the verdict of history.
Origin: Middle English verdit, from Anglo-Norman : ver, true (from Latin vērus; see wērə-o- in Indo-European roots) + dit, speech (from Latin dictum, from neuter past participle of dīcere, to say; see deik- in Indo-European roots).
verdict - Legal Definition