- The definition of a deduction is the act of understanding something based on evidence.
An example of a deduction is what a detective makes after he compares and interprets the details of an investigation.
- A deduction is defined as when something, especially money, is taken away.
An example of a deduction is what is taken out of your payroll check for income taxes.
A form for determining payroll deductions.
- a deducting or being deducted; subtraction
- a sum or amount deducted or allowed to be deducted
- Logic the act or process of deducing; reasoning from the general to the specific, or from premises to a logically valid conclusion; also, a conclusion reached by such reasoning
Origin of deductionMiddle English deduccioun ; from Classical Latin deductio
- The act of deducting; subtraction.
- An amount that is or may be deducted: tax deductions.
- The drawing of a conclusion by reasoning; the act of deducing.
- Logic a. The process of reasoning in which a conclusion follows necessarily from the stated premises; inference by reasoning from the general to the specific.b. A conclusion reached by this process.
- That which is deducted; that which is subtracted or removed
- A sum that can be removed from tax calculations; something that is written off
- You might want to donate the old junk and just take the deduction.
- A conclusion; that which is deduced, concluded or figured out
- He arrived at the deduction that the butler didn't do it.
- The ability or skill to deduce or figure out; the power of reason
- Through his powers of deduction, he realized that the plan would never work.
- (logic) A process of reasoning that moves from the general to the specific, in which a conclusion follows necessarily from the premises presented, so that the conclusion cannot be false if the premises are true.
- A conclusion reached by this process
deduction - Investment & Finance Definition
An expense that is subtracted from taxable income in order to reduce the amount of income tax that has to be paid. Charitable donations and business expenses, such as entertainment expenses and office supplies, are examples of items that can be deducted.
deduction - Legal Definition